My Stint On VEEP

About this time last year Pat Moran in Baltimore started bringing me in to read sides for various dayplayer roles for HBO’s comedy VEEP. None of the roles ended up being a good fit for me, but we kept trying, and, as production for Season 3 was about to commence, her office called and said they wanted to bring me in for a role, but if this one didn’t work out, they would keep bringing me in all season. So of course the first one we tried out this year stuck. Only at the time I didn’t think it had. Two weeks had passed, and that is usually the window for when they will call you either for a callback or booking. So when Pat’s office called, I was thinking it was for bringing me in for another try. Instead, she told me that the VEEP people wanted to book me! I was really excited. In a few days I got the shooting details, and I felt I was officially part of the show.

Yesterday was the shoot, and the location was rather remote, and I had to high-tail it to make the suddenly-earlier call time. But I did, and then, as is usual for any production, there were delays from earlier that necessitated me to wait in my trailer. Okay, it was one of those partitioned trailers that they have for dayplayer use. It was a comfortable enough place to sit and do paperwork while I waited for wardrobe and hair/makeup to come check me out. Then it was a like 200 yard walk to the set where we did a rehearsal for the writers in case they wanted to tweak anything. At this point the regular cast started introducing themselves and shaking my hand. “Hi, I’m Julia.” Of course I was thinking “Of course you’re Julia – you’re the famous one,” but instead I said “Hi, I’m Greg” right back. They were all super-nice and supportive and friendly, and the same was true for the director, the writers, the director of photography, the costume designer – everybody. I felt really at home and totally comfortable, well, physically I was a little cold, but the rest was awesome.

While I was waiting to do my scene (there were two they wanted to get through that night, I hung out on set and chatted and joked with crew and cast, and had a blast watching them shoot a really funny scene. Then, sometime after 1 AM, I finally got to go on. My scene was taking place on some boats out at sea, so they taxied me out about 50 feet to where “my boat” was anchored. Then I sat there while another boat containing the rest of the cast drove up and we exchanged our lines. This was a little lonely, so I was glad I decided not to just sit in my trailer while the first scene was being done. When the cameras were facing me, I realized I was the only principal actor in the shot, and a spotlight was right in my face, so I’m pretty sure they got some good coverage of me.

This was one of the best times I’ve had on a set, in addition to hopefully being an important step in my career as an actor. Now I just have to wait seven months before I can see it! Is it seven months yet?